When a student is asked to write an essay he should take some points into account:
- understand what you are being asked, I mean, understand the question and answer to that question. For example, “ESSAY.- Write about the use of mobile phones in the street (20-30 words)” You must write about that topic and not about the mobile phone you would like to have
- writing an essay is a task which requires style. That means you shouldn´t be simple. Try to be honest and do not repeat the question you are being asked, e.g: “I think that the use of mobile phones in the street” is not a good idea for the beginning of your essay. This is called “begging the question” and is lack of style
- an essay doesn´t mean a list, but an expression of thought or the progress of some ideas. Do not write a list of words
- never write a very short essay. The normal thing is writing a minimum of words
- grammar is a must in writing.
- vocabulary is another positive point in writing. Without words we write nothing.
- avoid repeating all the time the same structures: in my opinion, I think, and … and, but…but
- write in clear handwriting. Your handwriting speaks about you
- say something interesting
- and remember, remember that to write acceptably well you must read a lot of books, papers, magazines or whatever using dictionaries. A writer is always reading stuff. Be a good reader!